Child Protection Policy
Dive Academy management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of sporting life and must be reflected in all of the centre’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the guidelines from PADI, the Management of Dive Academy has agreed to the following child protection policy:
- Dive Academy Management has adopted and will implement fully and with minor modification (to ensure our policy is relevant for Ireland – see appendix) the Child Protection Guidelines included in the PADI Approved Youth Training Centre Information Pack as part of this overall child protection policy.
- The Diver Academy’s Child Protection liaison is Tom Brown
- In its policies, practices and activities, Dive Academy will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
Dive Academy will
- Look after the child’s health, safety and welfare.
- Adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect
- Ensure appropriate supervision during all instructional activities
- Whenever possible, meet the child’s parents or guardians and share program goals and objectives
- Strive to keep parents or guardians involved and informed through verbal reports and updates as often as possible
- Treat children, parents or guardians with respect regardless of age, race, gender and religious affiliation
- Honour all commitments made to children
- Discuss disciplinary problems with parents or guardians
- Not engage in inappropriate contact with children
- Respect a child’s right to privacy and intrude only when health and safety demand
- Whenever possible, ensure two adults are with children at all times
- Fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
Dive Academy will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
This policy has been made available to all Dive Academy staff and is readily accessible to parents, schools and youth organisations on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to PADI and other relevant bodies if requested.
This policy was adopted by Dive Academy Management on 15thMarch 2018.